A great alternative to a traditional cheese board, this baked feta combines salty cheese with fragrant, lightly caramelised honey. Serve with these crisp rye bread crackers, crusty bread or your favourite cheese biscuits.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour draining
COOKING TIME: 12–20 minutes
1 x 200g block feta cheese
½ loaf rye bread
4 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, halved
3-4 tbsp runny honey
4 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig of fresh lavender or ½ tsp dried lavender
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6.
• Cover the feta with 2 pieces of kitchen paper and leave at room temperature for 1 hour to absorb excess moisture.
• Cut the rye bread into very thin slices. Place them in a single layer on 2 baking trays. Drizzle with the olive oil and rub each slice with a halved garlic clove.
• Bake the rye slices in the oven for 7–10 minutes until lightly golden and crisp. Remove the rye crisps and turn the oven to its grill setting.
• Remove the kitchen paper from the feta and place the feta in an ovenproof dish just large enough for it to fit in snugly. Drizzle the honey on top, then add the thyme and lavender. Season well with sea salt and pepper and grill for 5–10 minutes until golden.
• Remove the cheese from the grill. Serve the feta immediately with the rye crisps.
New Classics: Inspiring and delicious recipes to transform your home cooking by Marcus Wareing, published by HarperCollins, £20
Image credit: © Jonathan Gregson