280g Ground hazelnuts
50g Plain flour
5g Baking powder
Zest of half a lemon
125ml Olive oil (not extra virgin as the flavour is too powerful)
100g Ready made/shop bought caramel
200g Caster sugar
1. Mix the polenta, ground hazelnuts, flour, baking powder and lemon zest ensuring all is well combined.
2. Next, in a food machine, whip the eggs and caster sugar until light and doubled in size.
3. Mix together the oil and caramel and slowly add to the egg and sugar mixture while continuing to whisk.
4. Allow to become light and doubled in size again.
5. Initially when you add the caramel and oil the mix will collapse but this is normal, don’t panic.
6. Fold the dry mixture carefully into the mix and bake in a greaseproof paper lined tray measuring approximately 30cm by 15cm at 160 degrees centigrade for 40 minutes.
7. Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a cooling rack
For the Ice Cream
600g Full fat milk
4 Pasteurised egg yolks
100g Milk powder
150g 70% Dark chocolate
1. Boil the milk for one minute and pour over the egg yolks, milk powder and dark chocolate and whisk until melted.
2. Pour into your chosen ice cream machine and churn until the mixture is just set.
3. I prefer to eat the ice cream like this but you can freeze for 2 hours and serve on a piece of warm sponge.