Add a touch of Thai to your dinner tonight with these fishcakes, chilli dipping sauce and pickled veg. By Eleanor Richmond, owner of The Fox Hole, in Piercebridge, Darlington.
20g red chillies
60g spring onions
10g fresh, grated ginger
10g grated garlic (approx 3 cloves)
8 lime leaves
40g coriander leaves
30ml nahm pla (fish sauce)
FOR THE LIME CHILLI DIPPING SAUCE (NAHM JIM)
3 red chillies finely chopped
1 clove garlic
10g piece of ginger
2 coriander roots
3 tbsp nahm pla
3 tbsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
125ml lime juice
FOR THE THAI PICKLED VEG
1 medium white onion
3 red chillies
500ml cider vinegar
½ Chinese leaf cabbage finely shredded
1 cucumber, deseeded and diced
2 cloves garlic
• Combine 400g fish, chilli, spring onion, garlic, ginger and nahm pla. Blitz in the food processor to a paste.
• Roughly chop rest of fish, prawns and coriander. Mix with the fish paste, check seasoning by cooking a little bit to taste.
• Shape into 70g patties and place in fridge to firm.
TO MAKE THE LIME CHILLI DIPPING SAUCE (NAHM JIM)
• Pound garlic, coriander roots, chilli and ginger to a paste. Add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Adjust if necessary with more lime or fish sauce.
To MAKE THE THAI PICKED VEG
• Blend chillies, onions and garlic to form a paste.
• Fry the blended mix in hot oil to soften and release its flavour.
• Add cider vinegar and water bring to boil.
• Add the cauliflower and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
• Add the rest of the ingredients and set aside to cool, then serve.
Image by GASP Photo Co.